Many of us might associate cardamom with delicious Indian curries (in India, cardamom is know as “the queen of spices”). However, cardamom is also a beautiful spice to use with fruit. This recipe uses Herbie’s Spices Cardamom Seed Green Ground with seasonal summer mangoes for a quick, fresh dessert.
1. Peel the mangoes, slice off the two “cheeks” from each one and set aside.
2. Remove seeds from the cardamom pods and pound lightly to break up (it does not have to be a fine powder). To save time grinding cardamom pods, you can use Herbie’s Spices Cardamom Seed Green Ground.
3. In a frying pan, melt the sugar and butter, stirring frequently, then stir in the cardamom seeds.
4. Make a single layer of the fruit, spooning the sauce over the top, and cook until just warmed through.
5. Lift out of the pan into dishes, and serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream.
If mangoes are not in season, frozen mango slices can be used, or use fresh bananas instead.
About Herbies: Herbie’s Spices fills a need in the community of cooks and food lovers for one central place to access all those hard-to-find herbs and spices. Check out Herbies’ website: www.herbies.com.au
What are your favourite spices to cook with?
Australia Day is just over a week away and if the Aussie Day BBQ is at your place, you’ll soon be starting to thing about what you’re going to cook and serve on the day. We’ve teamed up with a bunch of talented culinary experts to bring you some classic Australia Day dishes that are sure to impress on the day, as well as all summer-long.
A butterflied leg of lamb is great for feeding the masses – plus it’s a really versatile cut because you can cook it so many ways. However, cooking this cut on the BBQ really showcases its mouth-watering flavours…
A butterflied leg of lamb is a great cut for feeding the masses…
- 2.2kg Leg of Lamb butterflied (this size leg of lamb will serve 8 – 10 people)
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, or 1 tbsp dried
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp verjuice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put onion, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, verjuice and olive oil into a food processor and pulse to combine.
2. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and pepper over the lamb. Place marinade and lamb into a bag. Spread marinade over all sides of the meat. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Remove lamb from refrigerator and let come to room temperature (about 20 minutes).
4. If you are using a gas BBQ, heat on high on all burners to start. After the initial browning you will reduce the heat.
5. Sear skin side down for 10 minutes and other side for 4 minutes. Change heat to low to maintain a temperature of 150-180°C.
6. Cover the bbq and let cook for an additional 35-45 minutes (depending on how many kgs the roast is).
7. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Cut across the grain, 1 – 1.5cm thick slices. Serve slices on a warm platter; pour meat juices over the slices. Serve with mint jelly or horseradish.
About Alison Clinch and The Free Range Butcher: Alison and her husband Ben are “both lovers of good food and are passionate about sustainable food production”. This passion is realized through their business, The Free Range Butcher, which sells meat from their family farm. Customers can find their products at farmers markets, or have them delivered to their door.
Ben Clinch from The Free Range Butcher
Check out their website: www.freerangebutcher.com.au and Sydney Morning Herald Good Food review of The Free Range Butcher…
What is your favourite cut of lamb?
Each week we’ll continue to post some of the lovely comments we received from our customers. Here are five of our favourite comments for this week:
1. “Just wanted to drop a note to formally say thanks for the product. Really appreciate the sweets and the personal note. Will definitely look at Mr Gift the next time I have a need to purchase something.” Ken, VIC
2. “Fantastic fast and friendly service. Thank you Courtney for arranging wrapping and delivery of my Uncle’s present. Will definitely be using Mr Gift again :)” Donnelle, VIC
3. “I just wanted to say a big thank you for your wonderful customer service. I was really impressed by the quick response and that you informed me what was going on along the process from purchasing to delivery. I was really happy with the products that I purchased they were exactly as pictured and were exactly what I was looking for, I loved the little note accompaning them and what put a big smile on my face was the lollies. You are doing a great job, and I will be telling people about your website and I will be a returning customer.” Megan, QLD
4. “I just received my Joseph Joseph cookbook stand and I want to thank you for the fast delivery and lovely personal note you included. It’s so rare these days. I also love the little bag of chocolates and gift card included. What a great idea!! Your website has a large range of gifts at great prices and I’m going to recommend you to my family and friends this Christmas season. Thanks again.” Tanya, VIC
5. “I thought I would just let you know that we received the parcel that I had ordered from you, and we are very pleased with it. I had been racking my brain as to what to get for my son’s 18th birthday. He often cooks on the barby for the rest of the family (I’m a bit slack there), and I thought I would look on the net as to what brand of tool set to get him. I found the ‘Man Law’ brand on some other site and, being a typical bloke, I liked the look of them. I looked at the few Australian sites that listed that particular set, and Mr Gift had the best price on both article and postage. It arrived safe and sound, and was well packed. My wife thought they may be a little on the large side, but I joked that they are ‘a real man’s set’, and as it turned out, our son thought the set was great. And yes, we would rate the product 5 out of 5…I hope to deal with you again. Thanks for the good old fashioned service.” Robert, QLD
Garnet is the birthstone of January. Whilst Garnet come in many colours, it is most well-know for its rich, deep red colour and linked to purity, truth, love and compassion. Here is some interesting things you might not know about Garnet:
- Garnet is a stone associated with successful business. If business is a bit slow, pop three or more Garnets on your desk.
- Sleeping with a Garnet under your pillow is said to cure depression.
- Popularity and increased self-esteem are said to come from wearing Garnets as jewellery.
- Garnets are also said to protect you when travelling, and bring constancy to friendships.
- Garnet is also said to have healing properties – especially for the thyroid and spleen – if held over the area.
- It can help increase sex drive.
Check out www.crystal-cure.com/garnet.html for more info on Garnet.
Here are some of our favourite Garnet coloured gift ideas…
Do you know what your birthstone is?
We love receiving feedback from our customers. Positive or negative, this feedback helps our business grow so we can do our very best everyday by offering helpful service and the right products.
Here are five of our favourite comments for this week:
1. “I was very happy with the product. It was a gift for someone and was just what I was after. Great quality and nice sleek design. Your service was even better, with fantastic communication and packaging.” Sophie, A.C.T
2. “I would like to thank you for your prompt completion of my order, and the outstanding level of customer service I have received. I rate mrgift.com.au 5 out of 5.” Heidi, Qld.
3. “I can rate your customer service as being outstanding and excellent!! Very impressed with the service and follow up and I will certainly shop with you again.” Fiona, N.S.W
4. “Got the steak thermometers prior to Christmas thank you. Your service and communication has been fantastic. The products work well and have a nice novelty value with guests at a BBQ.” Tony, N.S.W
5. “Thank you for your wonderful service! The gift came very quickly and is exactly as described! Perfect! Can I compliment you on your service. I have commented to others about your level of service – tracking along the way, keeping in contact, emailing to ensure delivery and gift voucher. Each person has commented that they have never experienced this before. I will certainly use your website again – it is very comprehensive and has much variety, which I appreciate.” Karyn, NSW
Read more feedback here…
When was the last time you received great service?
I’m looking with dismay at my beautiful display of Christmas cards. I know Christmas is over, but I can’t quite bear to take them down yet, especially since some are handmade.
Every year I’m faced with the same predicament, so this year I thought I would try and find some creative ways to reuse our Christmas cards. Here are a few of my favourite ideas, which could also be applied to other cards throughout the year…
1. Make gift tags for next year
All you need to do is develop a template shape that you like (you can use a commercial gift tag from this year) to trace around on the back of your Christmas cards. Simply cut out your tags, add string or ribbon of your choice (you can be as fancy as you like here) and then stash the tags with any left-over gift wrap and decorations for next year. You can find full instructions at www.thegoodstuffguide.com
2. Make Placemats
Simply cut out and layout or collage your cards together on an A3 or A4 piece of paper, glue down then laminate. You can also cut out and display the messages in the cards – your family will love reminiscing every time they use these special placemats.
3. Make a gift pouch
4. Make a Christmas wreath
All you need to make this beautiful wreath is:
1. A stack of colourful Christmas cards
2. A holly leaf stencil/template
3. A hot glue gun
5. A Styrofoam wreath
5. Cut them up so your kids can practice their weaving skills
Kids will love working with the bright colours of the cards, and card is a lot easier to weave with than paper. Here’s what to do…
What do you do with your old Christmas cards?
We’d love your thoughts – please comment below…