Mangoes are one of my favourite summer fruits. They’re delicious on their own, but also add a tropical freshness to any summer dish. In the warmer months I adore recipes that involve a BBQ – it’s great to cook outside and there’s less washing up! This BBQ Mango and Lamb recipe’s a beauty. It would have been great for Australia Day (and Sam would definitely approve!), but why not give it a go for a relaxed but very tasty Valentine’s treat?
Make the most of this season’s mangoes with these BBQ lamb cutlets and mango cheeks
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 x fresh Australian mangoes
- 8 x lamb cutlets
- Vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1x long red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 cup of coriander leaves
- Juice from 1 lime
- Brown sugar
1. Start by making a mango hedgehog (see images below) but without turning mango cheeks inside out.
2. Heat and lightly oil the BBQ hotplate, add the lamb (seasoned with salt and pepper) and mango cheeks making sure the mango is cooked until it is caramelized.
3. For the dressing, combine chilli, coriander, lime juice and stir in sugar to taste.
4. To serve turn mango cheeks inside out and place on a large platter with cooked lamb, drizzle with dressing and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of our mates from the Australian Mango Industry. Australian Mangoes are the flavour of summer with a range of varieties for you to enjoy all season long. There are four main varieties including the Kensington Pride, Calypso, R2E2 and Honey Gold, and several other late season varieties, including the Brooks, Keitt, Palmer, Kent and Pearl. Mangoes are quick and easy to prepare and are bursting with nutritional value. But best of all, mangoes are one of the most versatile fruits on the market; delicious by themselves or as an addition to your meat and seafood dishes, salads, cocktails, smoothies and desserts. Check out their websiteand their Facebook page. A BBQ is just not a BBQ without the right tools. These MAN LAW Digital BBQ tongs will ensure you cook your lamb to perfection. Check out the MAN LAW BBQ range here.