The special smell of home-made playdough still brings back fond childhood memories for me. Although you can now purchase Playdough in a rainbow of colours, part of the fun of homemade playdough is the anticipation and process of making it, as well as deciding what colour to make it.
This playdough recipe is quick, inexpensive, and easy to make with the kids (especially on a rainy day when you’re looking for an indoor activity).
This would also be a fun thing to include in a party bag (instead of heaps of lollies). Just seal a ball of it up in a zip-lock bag for the kids to take home and play with later. You could also include some cookie cutter shapes with it.
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Half a cup of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- Approx. 1.5 cups of hot water
- Food colouring
1. Mix the flour, salt, vegetable oil and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix the flood colouring and hot water together and add the water to the flour mixture
3. Stir until the mixture comes together and forms a dough
4. Let the dough cool slightly before kneading it well. You can add more flour if required.
This recipe was kindly shared with us by Cooinda Cottage Child Care, ACT
Check out more handmade gifts here…
What’s your favourite indoor activity to do with your kids on rainy days?
We’d love your thoughts – please share your comments below…