You want to melt your Dad’s heart this Father’s Day? Here is the perfect surprise dessert to touch his soul. Lots of chocolate, plenty of ice cream, and rich nutty taste, what’s not to like? Also, the recipe is a simplified chocolate mud pie, which has only a few ingredients, and is quick and easy to make. It is quite “kid-friendly” for preparation too. So children of all ages can take part in Dad’s surprise.
• Chocolate crumb crust (you may use a store-bought one, or make it from scratch following a standard recipe)
• 3 table spoons soft brown sugar
• 150 ml heavy whipping cream
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup nuts of your choice, chopped (walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds work well)
• 2 litre container of coffee-flavoured ice cream
1. Heat half of the whipping cream in a saucepan on medium heat. Wait until the cream is just before its boiling point (or until bubbles appear at the edges). Turn the heat off. Add the chocolate chips and stir gently until they melt and the mixture is chocolaty-smooth. Put the saucepan aside and let it cool completely.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the rest of the whipping cream and whip it until it thickens, add the sugar and continue beating the mixture.
3. Spread the softened ice cream on the crumb crust, and smooth the top. Sprinkle half of the nuts on top. Drizzle the cooled chocolate mixture over the ice cream.
4. Spread the whipped cream in the centre of the pie. Top it all with a sprinkle of the remaining nuts.
5. Freeze the pie for a couple of hours, or if it suits your time frame – overnight (just keep it hidden from Dad).
TIP: The pie is best enjoyed with a cup of hot strong coffee. To slice it, use a knife with a heated blade (just dip it in hot water for a few seconds).
This recipe was kindly shared with us by Margaret Swanton, a marketing specialist at Fantastic Cleaners Melbourne housekeeping agency, and a chocoholic, who explores her passion for desserts.
Check out our other recipes here…