|Recipe of the Week: Beef, Mixed Bean and Spinach Soup with Poached Egg
•3 cups reduced salt beef stock
•1 cup water
•200 g lean beef, thinly sliced
•1 cup mixed vegetables (carrot, celery, onion, leek,
•parsnip) chopped into small dice
•1 can (400g) three bean mix (no added salt)
•4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed
•2 tbsp chopped parsley
•Freshly ground pepper
1. Place beef into a saucepan, add stock and simmer until almost tender then add the vegetables.
2. Drain and rinse the beans well under running water before adding to the stock.
Bring back to a boil.
3. Add the spinach, simmer for one minute and season with pepper.
4. Poach the eggs and set aside.
5. Place into bowls, add the egg and garnish with parsley, seasoning with freshly ground pepper.
Chef’s tip: Use cheaper cuts of beef, which tend to have more flavour but do take longer to cook, and use a pressure cooker to speed up the process.
Serve with crusty toasted bread or garlic or herb bread.
This recipe was kindly shared with us by the team at the Australian Egg Industry. www.eggs.org.au is their consumer site – check it out for more info on eggs, recipes, nutrition and frequently asked questions.
Check out more of our favourite recipes here…