I can’t think of many dads who wouldn’t be happy starting Father’s Day with a cooked breakfast of baked eggs and beef sausage. This recipe is Paleo friendly, PLUS it’s hearty and packed with flavours dad will love.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 Cleaver’s Organic Beef Paleo
- Sausages, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch kale leaves,
- coarsely chopped
- 2 x 400 g whole peeled
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika,
- plus extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon harissa, to taste
- 4 organic free-range eggs
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausages, and cook until browned on all sides (3 – 4 minutes).
- Transfer the sausages to a plate lined with a paper towel, and discard the oil from the pan (do not rinse out the pan).
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and the onion to the pan.
- Sauté the onion over medium heat for 2 minutes or until the onions start to soften, then add the garlic, paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add kale and cook, stirring, until leaves brighten in colour and begin to wilt.
- Return the sausages to the pan, then add the whole peeled tomatoes and harissa, and season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the sauce to simmer over a medium-low heat for 15 minutes to slightly thicken the sauce and allow the flavours to develop.
- Spoon 2 large spoonful’s of the sausage mix into 4 shallow, ovenproof baking dishes (approx. 310 ml), then add 2 cherry tomato halves in each dish. Make a small well in the centre and break in an egg into the hole.
- Bake for 5 – 8 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven.
- Drizzle some chermoula over the baked eggs, then sprinkle with chopped coriander and smoked paprika.
- Serve immediately with a tablespoon of fermented vegetable on the side for each serve.
- 1 large handful chopped coriander
- 1 large handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large handful chopped mint
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 125 ml olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the herbs, garlic, spices, chilli and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Whilst the motor is running, drizzle in the oil and process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
The chermoula will last for 3–4 days in the fridge.
Thanks to Cleavers Organic Meat for sharing this recipe with us. Cleaver’s source their meat from livestock that graze freely in pastures with constant access to clean fresh water. The meat is free of antibiotics, preservatives, pesticides and added hormones. Cleaver’s is certified in accordance with the strict requirements of ‘Australian Certified Organic’ (www.austorganic.com). Cleaver’s is all about creating delicious, organic beef and lamb – and their newly launched paleo sausage is made of organic beef, pepper, carrot, sautéed onion, garlic, salt (all organic) and water. It’s still tastes delicious, just without those pesky fillers! Learn more about Cleaver’s at www.cleaversorganic.com.au.